When is the ideal time to start looking for student accommodation?
For University of Essex students, the best time to start making enquiries tends to be after the Christmas Holidays, January, February, March. At www.fabdiggs.co.uk, we are available to discuss interests in any of our properties. Please contact us by email or call us on +44 77 3957 4325
What type of contract is offered?

We tend to offer 11 month contracts starting from 1st of September until 31st of July. This gives us the opportunity to make major maintenances and upgrades to the properties in August to ensure that we continue to offer top quality properties. In addition, tenants will sign a standard “Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement”.

What is your payment procedure and do I need a guarantor?
If you have a UK based guarantor, you can choose to pay the rent in instalments. If you cannot provide a UK based guarantor then you will need to pay the full year rent in one-go before you move into the accommodation. Guarantor needs to be someone in full-time employment. They must be able to provide a copy of their passport/Driving licence; two proof of addresses and sign the two copies of the tenancy agreement. Your guarantor could be your Parent or Guardian for instance
How much is the booking fee and what happens to it?

We charge the booking fee for administration of £50. If you cancel your booking within 10 days then you are entitled to a full fee refund. After 10 days, the booking fee is non-refundable but the deposit is fully returned to you.

How much is the deposit?
The deposit is 1 months rent depending on the chosen property. We keep the deposit while you live with us. At the end of your tenancy a final inspection of your room will be carried out prior to your move out. If any deductions are required they will be discussed with you at this point. Assuming the room and its belongings (including the shared areas in your house) are in the same condition as when you moved in, fair wear and tear notwithstanding, you will get your deposit back within 14 days after the end of your tenancy. The deposit will be returned to you by bank transfer. All deposits are registered with MyDeposits which is a government accredited Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme provider.
Do I need to pay for Council tax?
By law as a tenant of the property, you are liable for the services the council provides. However, if you are a full time student in the UK you do not have to pay council tax. You will however be required to provide a council tax exemption letter from your place of study which you will then send to the Colchester Borough Council Tax department.
We take the safety in our properties very seriously. We conduct safety checks every year to obtain gas certification and every 5 years for electricity certification. Fire safety is taken seriously with linked smoke alarms and fire blankets where possible. In addition, we perform quarterly inspections to ensure all heating and plumbing systems are working safely.
Providing accommodation for students

We have been renting our properties to University of Essex students since 2007. Once a property is added to our portfolio, we regularly perform relevant safety checks and updates to conform to local standards and requirements.

In addition to the rent, do I have to pay the bills?
We offer two types of contracts with regards to bills. You can choose our “Simple” package which means your monthly rent includes, Water, Gas and Electricity. We choose the service providers and manage these services monthly. You may alternatively choose to take the option to manage your bills.
Can I cancel my contract before I move in?
No. Once the Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) has been signed by you, you are bound by the terms and conditions of the agreement.